Sausage Gravy and the G-Rents

Good Morning! Kate and I have been working on some fun and exciting stuff around here! We are filled to the brim with ideas and excitement. It is truly wonderful sharing a project like this with my sister and I couldn't be happier! Today I want to introduce you a little bit more to the people that have been so instrumental for both us, and who continue to be some of our biggest cheerleaders to this day.


Grandma Annette and Grandpa Stephen are two of the most amazing people you'll ever meet. They aren't your run of the mill, elderly grandparents. Until I started bringing friends around them, I didn't realize that. I thought everyone's grandparents played slow pitch softball, worked 40+ hours a week, owned rental houses that they maintain, etc. etc. My grandpa hired a stripper TWICE for my grandma's major milestone birthdays. They are anything but ordinary. And I think this is why Kate and I are the way we are. We are far from perfect, and they have always been honest with us about our shortcomings (no matter how much we disliked it) and tried their best to help us grow. Fun fact: during my teen years, my grandpa irritated me so much that I resorted to calling him by his first name only. It was a rough time. I look back and cringe. But without that honesty and his patience with me, I wouldn't be half the mama and person I am today.

Grandma has worked for KCP&L (formerly St. Joseph Light and Power) for 20+ years. Grandpa has his masters degree in counseling, but currently runs his own plumbing company and is a licensed master plumber. It's really a steal for his customers, fix your toilet and your problems at the same time! They are busier than I am and I don't know how they do all that they do. Grandma is the best gardener I've ever met (flowers only!) and Grandpa is CONSTANTLY trying to improve something. Side note, I'm going to hear about all these capitals and exclamation marks, I just know it. He'll tell me they're superfluous to my message, but I don't care! I'm a rebel, Grandpa!

We visit often and have since we were children. Because they live a few hours away, we usually make a weekend of it. Sunday mornings at The G-rents is for making breakfast and talking around the table. Grandma's sausage gravy is one of the most requested breakfasts, and I'm here to share it with you! This gravy is thick and flavorful and cooks up in no time.

Start with a pound of Jimmy Dean Country Mild sausage. Brown over medium heat.

                        
Dice a small onion and toss it in when the sausage is about half cooked.


Toss in pan and cook until sausage is browned and onions are soft.

                                      

Add 1/3 cup of flour to the sausage and stir until the sausage is coated and no flour is visible, about one minute.


Add in enough milk to mostly cover the sausage. Stir in seasoned salt.


Increase the heat to high, stirring constantly. Gravy should thicken quickly. Once it reaches desired consistency, remove from heat.


Serve over biscuits. At Grandma's, we only eat Pillsbury Grands Buttermilk Biscuits.



Sausage Gravy
1 lb. mild breakfast sausage (we're loyal to Jimmy Dean)
1 small onion, diced
1/3 cup flour
3/4 tsp. seasoned salt
milk
Brown sausage over medium heat. After about half the meat is browned, add diced onions. Continue cooking until all the sausage is browned and onions are soft. Sprinkle the flour over the sausage and stir well. Continue stir until no flour is visible and sausage is coated, about one minute. Add enough milk to mostly cover the sausage. Add in seasoned salt and increase the heat to high, stirring constantly. The gravy should come to a boil and thicken quickly. Once it reaches desired consistency, remove from heat. Serve over warm biscuits.

Get the handy printable here. Tell me what you remember your Grandma making!

xx

Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors