So what better way to get back to everything than making my first clothing item. The idea really came from seeing the material and trying to find something to do with it. Making my own clothes is something I've wanted to do for a long time, but was always afraid it would frustrate me. After looking at lots of tutorials and getting the general idea I came up with this skirt. It took a little trial and error, but I love how it turned out!
What You Need
1 yard patterned material
1 yard white material
Usual sewing supplies
1. Measure your waist and add 4 inches.
2.Cut a pattern piece that is your waist(+4)x 18 inches and then cut this piece in half so you have to equal pieces.(for example my pieces measure 19x18in)
3. Cut your white material waist(+4)x16 inches and cut into 2 equal parts
4. Pin your patterns and white pieces together
5. Sew together
1. Cut a piece of your patterned material that measures half your waist x9inches and fold in half
2. Cut a piece of patterned material that is half waist+ 2-3 inches x 9 inches
3. Cut piece of elastic that is half your waist
4. Pin elastic to one half and sew at each end and a couple times in-between
5. Sew each half of waist closed
Note: in photos the elastic is small, but in retrospect the waist would have had a cleaner look if I had used one big piece of elastic rather than 2 small pieces.
Put it all together
1. Place your waist piece front down on top of front of skirt and vise versa
3. Ensure the both halves of your skirt are the same length.
4. Fold bottom of the skirt up 1/2 inch and iron
7. Place two halves together (fronts face)and sew together using zig-zag stitch
Estimated Project Time: 3 hours
Estimated Cost: $17