Coffee BBQ Sauce

Barbeque sauce (henceforth known as BBQ sauce) is a newer food to me. Until I met my husband, I never really even bothered to try it. Now I eat it on traditional BBQ foods, and burgers. Specifically, a burger with melted cheddar cheese, crispy bacon, melt in your mouth sautéed onions, a slice of tomato, and the perfect amount of BBQ sauce that makes the entire burger a big mess. I prefer a sweeter BBQ sauce because I'm a straight up wimp when it comes to spicy foods. However, this BBQ sauce isn't for me, it's for the meat loving man I married. This sauce is savory treat with a subtle heat with even subtler sweetness and it has become sauce number one for both my husband and his dad. Here is what you'll need...


 

 
Add to that picture brown sugar, my canister isn't pretty. This recipe is super simple and can be prepped easily and then left on the stove with an occasional stir. Finely dice a small onion. Brew a strong cup of coffee. Measure and add your ingredients into a small saucepan.


 
 
 
Give everything a good stir. 

 

Bring your sauce to a boil and then reduce to low heat. Stir occasionally. Cook until all the ingredients have cooked down and become a rich and thick sauce (approximately 45 minutes). Let the sauce cool and then store in an airtight container in the fridge. 

 
 
Coffee Barbeque Sauce
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 45 minutes
Makes: 2.5 cups
 
1/2 cups strong brewed coffee
1 cup ketchup
3/4 cups packed brown sugar
1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
1/2 cups finely diced yellow onion
1/2 cups sweet red chili sauce
2 heaping teaspoons finely diced garlic
2 tablespoons soy sauce (I used low sodium)
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons chili powder
 
Add all ingredients to small sauce pan and stir. Bring to a boil and immediately turn heat to low. Cook until thick and well blended, about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Cool sauce and serve or transfer to airtight container and store in the fridge.
 
For the handy printable, click here.
 
A few notes: I'm a big fan of the diced garlic in the jar. I know some people are against it, but if it makes my life easier I'm all for it. If you do so desire, grab two cloves and chop them yourself. This recipe has been adapted from How Sweet Eats (love this blog!) which I found through the Brit + Co. app. If you love all things crafty, recipe, DIY, etc., this app is for you! I'm obsessed!
 
Thanks for stopping by! If you give this recipe a try, let me know! It makes a wonderful gift!
 
xx
 
Jamie
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors