Lasagna

When I grew up, my mom made some of the absolute best meals in the world. Most of her recipes she just made up as she went along. Her lasagna has always been one of her most requested meals, probably only second to her mancotti. When I was in high school, she would invite over my whole cross country team for dinner. Dinner at mama Angie's was highly attended every year and always consisted of some kind of pasta.
I love my mom's lasagna, but I also loved by grandma's lasagna. Grandma Annette's lasagna couldn't have been any different from mom's. They used different meats, sauce, techniques, cheeses. When I "grew up" and starting cooking in my own home, I decided to take a little of this and a little of that from each recipe and come up with my own.
Jamie thinks my recipe is absolutely ridiculous, because adding cottage cheese to lasagna is just blasphemy. That is a direct quote. But I LOVE my lasagna and the last time I made it I attempted to freeze it. I'll let you guys know!



Grocery List
12 Lasagna noodles
1/2 pound italian sausage(use a pound if you like more meat)
1 Jar Pasta Sauce
10 ounces of Ricotta Cheese
6 ounces large curd cottage cheese
2 cups mozzarella
Italian Seasoning
1 egg

1. Cook noodles as directed on box(careful not to tear them)
2. Ground italian sausage and pour off fat. Preheat oven to 375 F
3. Mix together ricotta, cottage cheese, 1 c. mozzarella cheese, italian sausage, egg, and seasoning in bowl
4 Lay out noodles on clean counter
5. Put couple spoon fulls of mixture on each noodle and spread across the noodle

6. Cover bottom of baking pain in sauce
7. Roll up each noodle and arrange in pan so that the loose edge is on the bottom

8. Cover noodles in remaining sauce
9. Sprinkle 1 c of mozzarella on top
10. Bake loosely covered for 15 minutes and then uncovered for 10 minutes


Some notes:
I normally cook more than 12 noodles. I always seem to tear a couple of them and it makes it much harder to put together. I always cut up the torn noodles and throw them in some butter with salt and pepper for lunch so they don't go to waste! You can switch the sausage for hamburger if you prefer. It is still very good! I use Marinara for sauce, but you can use whatever you like! You can do the layering technique as well, but I prefer to do the roll ups because it is so much easier to serve and less messy to eat.

--Katelyn

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors